Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fanciful & Unfounded


Journal Assignment #1: Wardrobe Wildlife

I want to get to know you as a writer. To facilitate this goal, please share a story with me from your first day at college.

- Professor Brink

After trying to convince my mother that maybe higher education wasn’t for me, I was dragged to school. Everyone worries about making friends at college; I know this because I googled it. My anxiety was slightly above average. Cut to clip:

Curtain opens, an average American college dorm room is revealed.

Tiger emerges from closet, Alexa quivers in her lofted bed.

Tiger: Rawr!

Alexa: Ahhhhhhh!

(Body tearing noises)

Alexa: Someone! Help!

(No answer)

Alexa: If only I had friends!

Tiger: Rawr! Grrrrr

(Haunting shriek)

I was prepared to pass my four years at college in isolation; at least I would be alive. I could focus on my studies. I was a lone wolf anyway. I didn’t need people! Replaying my tiger-maul horror movie in my mind, I arrived at my dorm room without even noticing.

“Honey?” my mother looked at me with concern. I glanced back, still glassy-eyed. “Oh good,” she said, “Still alive.”

“Not for long,” I mumbled, eyeing my closet door.

“Do you want the green sheets or the blue?” she asked holding each. But I was lost again. Does running in zig-zags help prevent tiger attacks? I really should have googled this.

“Alexa,” My mom admonished, “why didn’t you bring any socks?!”

“I don’t know – got confused”

“Honey, why don’t you go get your bags from the hallway.”

“Okay,” I said, looking solemnly at the den of my demise as I left the room.

“Hi!” a tall girl with curly blonde hair shouted, “I’m Sylvie. I’m crazy! But you’ll like me.”

“I’m Alexa,” I said, stunned by her exuberance. By this time my mother had joined us in the hall.

“Isn’t that great, Alexa?” She said, “Now you have a friend.”
A friend? I thought Was it really that easy? While I was mulling over the reality of recent events, my mom, satisfied with the situation, quietly took her leave.

My organized mother thrives on preparing me for life’s every challenge. As she drove home, I imagine her mentally running through the Alexa College checklist: Make bed, check. Take sock inventory, check (mental note, send Alexa 10 pairs, ASAP). Find friend for daughter, check!

The next days were a blur of free tee-shirts, university-sponsored parties and getting-to-know-you activities. In that week I learned that 1) everyone was just as friend-desperate as I was and 2) how to fend off my closet-tiger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNw-UjQHiUc

At first, Sylvie and I were friends out of necessity, then we were friends out of habit, and finally we became best friends. We drive each other crazy, but we also have a lot of fun. Most important, Sylvie is a back-belt: she’d totally save me in a tiger attack.

Okay, so this started out as a story about the first day, but it kind of expanded. I think in my next draft I should show more than tell, and create more images.

2 comments:

Steve (angrybabboon) said...

Samu and Aree-Ree,

This blogal post raises a very important question:

In the battle of ninja versus tiger, who would be the victor?

This post reminds me of a story I've heard before - a true story, in fact. However, the old cliché/adage "Write what you know" seems to apply here. Stories rooted in real-life experiences have more emotional grip!

I anxiously await the next post. I hope to read more phrases like "body tearing noises."

Anonymous said...

I agree with Steve. You should explore the ninja v. tiger idea and give us the results.

Favourite bit:
“Hi!” a tall girl with curly blonde hair shouted, “I’m Sylvie. I’m crazy! But you’ll like me.”
I can totally tell this is a chick *I'd* get along with.

Thanks for sharing the tiger safety vid. It's good to be prepared for such an attack. ^_^

Post a Comment

Followers